Mavic Pro vs Mavic Pro 2 – Buy now or Wait – Updated!May 25, 2018 0 By Scott Hinkle
I’ve been seeing the same question pop up in forums everywhere… Mavic Pro vs Mavic Pro 2, should I buy now or wait? The answers vary greatly depending on who’s responding but I’d like to dig a bit deeper and try to answer the question through analysis of the following categories:
- The Technology Cycle
- What We Know
- Our Needs Now
- Sometimes it Comes Down to Money
As with any object, value is derived by how one perceives it. Hopefully, by digging into these topics, we can answer the question based on what you value most, thus changing the answer based on that value (i.e. if the latest and greatest is what you want then maybe waiting for the latest release is better vs I have a need now as that need may lead you to go ahead and buy today).
These topics are the ones I could think of off the top of my head. If you have others that should be considered please let me know by commenting below. I will be glad to add them to the post.
For a comparison of the models currently available in the DJI Mavic family, check out my DJI Mavic – Which One to Choose post.
Update! – The Mavic 2 series has been released. Check out my The DJI Mavic 2 – The New Models Are Finally Here! post for more information.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFORMATION.
The Technology Cycle
As with almost any item, especially technology based ones, there will always be something new coming around the corner. Look at computers, cell phones, drones and so on. Even new car models come out every year. This is just the way things are. What it really boils down to is: are the features the item has today sufficient or more than you need now or is that next feature something you need to wait for.
What’s cutting edge today is common or not necessarily impressive tomorrow. Buying now or waiting until later doesn’t matter in this scenario. Eventually it’s going to be old news.
Verdict – Tie
What We Know
In the case of DJI, they are much like Apple. Rumors fly around but, until the item is released, it’s all speculation. We can hope, we can guess, we can choose to believe what others “leak” but, until it’s confirmed, it’s just wishful thinking. Here’s my post on DJI Mavic Pro 2 Rumors as an example of what we wish/think is coming.
What we know is what’s currently out there and what features they offer:
Verdict – If the drone you need is already available, has the features you want/need and you have the urge or an urgent need for it then go get it. If not, wait.
Our Wants/Needs Now
One of the largest factors in determining if you should buy now or wait, is meeting your current and possibly future wants and needs. If you want a drone that can fly for 2 hours on a single battery and no other options will work then you may need to wait awhile for the technology to advance far enough to meet that need. On the other hand, if you need a drone with decent range, a 4k camera, portability and about 20 minutes plus of flight time and maybe an intelligent flight mode, such as Active Track, then what you need is already available in a couple of models. Take the time to assess what your current wants and needs are, your future plans and needs and come up with a punch list to determine if what you need is already available or if you should wait a few cycles for it to be developed.
Time is another factor. If you have a job that was due yesterday, you may not have the luxury of waiting for the perfect fit. In that scenario you may need to bite the bullet and purchase one or more drones to meet your immediate needs.
Verdict – If what you need is available now, buy. If not, wait.
Check out this infographic for a side-by-side comparison of most of the features offered by the Mavic family of drones:
This chart should help you to identify the categories that matter to you and compare the current offerings to see what fits your needs most. A space has been left in anticipation of a new member to the Mavic family and will be updated once announced. by Scott Hinkle
Sometimes it Comes Down to Money
Budgets are relative things. $1000 to a millionaire is nothing, but to someone working part-time as they are putting themselves through school, that’s a lot of money. Take the time to assess your financial situation in relation to that drone you want. You can buy today but if you’re on the fence consider putting money aside and buying when the new version is released. This gives you a couple of options: You can buy the older model (if it meets your needs) at what will probably be a considerable discount now that the new model is out (new or used) or you can buy that new model knowing the new features make it worthwhile to do so.
Another way to look at it is, if you’re planning to use the drone to make money (check out these posts: Get the FAA Drone License – Make Money Legally with Your Mavic and DroneBase – Make a Little Money on the Side), take into consideration how much you’re expecting to make with your new endeavor (don’t just guess, do a little research). Base your decision on making the purchase now or waiting on your expected return on investment. If it’s reasonably high buy now, if not, wait for that new unit to be released and consider buying the old version (new or used) at a considerable savings now that the new one is out.
Verdict – If you’ve got money to spare and want that tool/toy now get it. If budget is a concern, wait until prices drop on the current model as the new model is released.
Update – It looks like the event has been rescheduled for August 23rd. Be ready for the new releases!
This is by no means an exhaustive comparison but rather my take on a few things to consider. Since there is no Mavic Pro 2 yet, there really isn’t a way to make a true comparison of the Mavic Pro vs Mavic Pro 2 and the buy now or wait question really boils down to how you feel about it right now. If you have other topics that should be compared please let me know, by commenting below, and I’ll be happy to update this post and include them.
As you can see, from the verdicts at the end of each category, the choice to buy or wait varies based on the values you set for each. I can tell you, from my personal preferences on technology, that as soon as the new one is out, I’ll be placing my order.
As I did with my Phantom 2’s, I will probably keep my Mavic Pro as a backup in case something happens and I need a spare. I have DJI Care Refresh on my Mavic now and will have it on my new one as well so, if something were to happen, I’d just send it in for repair and continue to use my old drone until I get the new one back.
If you feel I’ve missed anything, disagree with my post or have additional items you think should be included please comment below. I do review comments and once approved they will be visible on this post for others to see.