DJI Has Released a New Firmware for the DJI Smart Controller – Version 01.00.0530April 25, 2019 0 By Scott Hinkle
Looks like this is firmware update post week for MavicManiacs.com. DJI Has Released a New Firmware for the DJI Smart Controller – Version 01.00.0530. It pretty much goes hand-in-hand with the new firmware released for the Mavic 2 series.
Sadly, I don’t have one of these yet but I still like to know what I might be missing. Let’s take a look and see what goodies they have gifted us with.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFORMATION.
What New Features Does This Update Bring?
This update actually brings 7 new features to the DJI Smart Controller. Here they are:
- Aircraft Management – This one is pretty cool. Apparently you can add multiple aircraft to the controller and manage them as you would a fleet. Currently the Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic 2 Enterprise and Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual are the only models supported at this time so don’t get all excited for your Mavic Pro or Mavic Air to be included. Here’s a video showing off the feature:
- Dual Remote Controller Mode – This goes with the recent firmware update for the Mavic 2 series and allows for both your primary remote controller and a second remote or DJI Goggles to be connected to the drone simultaneously.
- A warning prompt if the compass inside of the remote controller requires calibration has been added as has the ability to check the compass status from within the settings menu.
- The external micro SD card can now be set as the default storage location.
- A camera lock feature has been added to prevent a photo being taken or video being recorded if the feature is enabled and the DJI GO 4 app is either not running or in the background.
- The DJI GO 4 and DJI Pilot apps can now be updated independently from the system update itself.
- DJI GO Share has been optimized as well.
- This firmware update will update the DJI GO 4 app to version 4.3.16.
A lot of this is background stuff but still nice to have. The fleet management and dual remote features are my top picks to focus on in this update. If you want to read the release notes yourself, you can find them here:
DJI Smart Controller Firmware Update Release Notes
What’s the Best Way to Perform the Update?
Just like the drones themselves, you have two options for updating the DJI Smart Remote and that’s via WiFi or by using USB and the DJI Assistant 2 software. I’m big proponent of the USB/DJI Assistant 2 method. I wrote a blog post about How to Update Your Mavic’s Firmware – The Most Successful Method I Know. It’s, by far, the least problematic way to get your devices updated.
Here’s a video showing how to perform the update via either method:
App Version Requirements
As with most updates from DJI, updating the firmware requires updating the apps. This update is no different. To take advantage of the features offered in this firmware version you’ll need to run the following versions of the apps or higher:
DJI GO 4: v43.16
DJI Pilot: v1.3.0
Is it Safe to Update? Have There Been Any Problems Reported?
The update came out today so my sources for issues are a bit limited. That said, so far, those that have already updated, have not reported any issues. I say go ahead and update to get the new features.
There it is, two updates in one week, semi-related, yet separate. Now that DJI Has Released a New Firmware for the DJI Smart Controller – Version 01.00.0530, are you planning to update? I guess the better question is are you have the DJI Smart Remote and, if so, are you planning to update?
So let me ask you this… For those of you with the DJI Smart Remote, is it worth it? Am I really missing out by not having it and just using my iPhone/iPad when I fly? Yes I know I don’t have a supported bird yet, as I’m still flying my DJI Mavic Pro (yes the original one), but I”m considering getting the DJI Mavic 2 Pro, yet still hoping for DJI to announce the Phantom 5 any time.
Have you updated to this latest firmware version? Did you run into any issues? Are the new features worth updating for? Please let me know by commenting below.